- FREE ConsultationComplimentary 15 minute Consultation for Prospective Patients
- Dr. Riley Smith, LAc, DACM2404 Broadway
San Diego, CA
- Review us on Google
Clinic HoursWed2:00 PM - 8:00 PMThu10:00 AM - 6:00 PMFri8:00 AM - 2:00 PMSat9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- • Cultivating Defensive Qi to Fight Summer Allergies •
- • 3 Tips for Healthy Summer Fun •
- • A Taste of Summer •
- Sign up to receive news and updates and get my free report:
The National Institutes of Health estimates that approximately 25.3 million adults suffer from chronic pain (defined as experiencing pain every day for the preceding three months). They also estimate that nearly 40 million adults experience what is considered severe levels of pain.
Chronic pain can be debilitating for those suffering from it and directly impacts quality of life. People often treat chronic pain with anti-inflammatory medications (both prescription and over-the-counter), physical therapy, or with ice and heat, but those options don’t always provide long lasting relief. According to Harvard Medical School, “acupuncture is an option with a good track record that’s worth considering.” continue reading
Did you know that migraines affect nearly 50 million Americans? Leading to billions in lost productivity not to mention the debilitating effects on peoples’ lives. They are somewhat of a mystery to the medical world and the pharmaceutical options are not ideal. Migraines can last from hours to days and triggers are many.
While the medical options are a bit of a shotgun approach, acupuncture provides a viable alternative to many of my patients. Along with acupuncture I often include Chinese herbal medicine, tui na massage and cupping.
1. Proven results to relieve migraine pain. Pain and headaches/migraines are the number one reason patients seek me out. It has reached epidemic proportions in our country. Thousands of studies have shown how acupuncture effectively treats pain- both acute and chronic.
2. Acupuncture decreases inflammation. Migraines are a mystery but one thing is certain- inflammation plays a part. Acupuncture is proven to reduce inflammatory response in the body by triggering the release of immune-mediating chemicals and that decrease inflammation.
3. Acupuncture helps to lower serotonin levels. Why is this important? It has been widely studied and proven that serotonin shows a link in the creation of migraines. Enter acupuncture as preventative medicine- regular acupuncture is a proven way to reduce serotonin levels. When we can lower the systemic causes of migraines, there is less room opportunity in the body for home to take root.
4. Acupuncture helps to alleviate associated migraine symptoms. Migraines bring along a host of unwanted guests- nausea, vomiting and dizziness to name a few. An outstanding and proven way to treat these conditions in the body is- you guessed it- acupuncture and herbs.
5. Acupuncture enhances blood circulation. Often times, pain is related to decreased oxygen levels in the body and/or tissue not receiving proper oxygenation due to decreased blood flow. Acupuncture helps to increase blood flow systemically and to targeted areas of the body (enter cupping) thereby reducing pain.